Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Countdown has begun

So, I am now 35 weeks and on bed rest.  I've been on bed rest for almost 2 weeks now and, frankly, it's driving me crazy.  It's funny how all I wanted a month ago was to lay in bed all day and do nothing...and now that I have to do just that...I'd rather be up and cleaning.  :D  Never satisfied, am I?

Things are going very well, right now.  Babies are strong and healthy and getting bigger, but we need them to stay in for a couple of more weeks.  The closer to 40 weeks, the better.  Although, I do have to confess that I sometimes find myself wishing they'd come sooner than later.

I never realized just how difficult it can be to carry twins.  I've had 3 pregnancies already and while I've hit the "discomfort zone" with all of them, it was usually only about 2 weeks before I gave birth.  Not so in this case.  I hit the discomfort zone about 3-4 weeks ago and I still have several weeks to go.  I cannot walk from one side of the house to the other without getting out of breath.  Driving is a thing of the past as I cannot fit behind the wheel any longer and depend on others to get me stuff I need from the store (or to pick up my older son from preschool).  Sometimes just having a lively conversation with friends is enough to get me to take a few deep breaths before diving in again.  My belly is measuring at 47cm and makes sleeping at night a pipe dream.  Not comfortable on my back to sleep sitting up...but laying on my side gives me those muscle stitches (never mind trying to roll from one side to the other, LOL).  And, of course, there is the getting up to pee every hour or so at night.  Heartburn is my constant companion (and usually shows up, uninvited and unwanted around 1am).

I do want the twins to come when they are ready, and I will do everything I can to make sure that I do not overdo anything to make them come early...just, sometimes, I need to rant about the discomfort.  I just have to keep reminding myself that everything I am going through is normal, healthy, and short-lived (even though it doesn't feel like it right now).

The fun thing is cuddling up with the kids and watching movies (although I have to admit watching Go, Diego for the 100th time is getting a bit old).  We play games and just talk.  It is a very nice change to my regular go, go, go style.  My oldest has become my biggest helper, getting me the things I need (water) and just keeping me company.  My younger two are more entertainment with the things they say and do (constantly moving and jumping around).

It's amazing at how quickly they learn my physical limitations.  My youngest (my biggest "troublemaker") loves to do stuff he isn't supposed to do and then take off running, knowing that I cannot catch him.  He does this when I'm trying to get him dressed or dried off.  It drives me crazy at times.  But, one of these days, soon, he's going to do this and I'll be able to catch him.  I am definitely looking forward to seeing the look on his face as he realizes his dashing sprees with me are over.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment